Monday, November 9, 2009

The Thrill of The Hunt


I remember a time when I thought thrift stores were beneath me. Afterall, the only things that were there were unwanted items. Surely, nothing of any value could be found in a second-hand store. Right?

WRONG!

I'm here to tell you: Thrifting is absolutely one of my favorite hobbies. I've had a change of heart. That is right! Now, I actually map out time...BIG CHUNKS of time to scour the shelves of thrift stores.

I usually set out with an open mind. I try not to limit myself too much on looking for particular items; although, I might say that I hope to find a basket, or bed sheets. They are pretty common items, but sometimes, I look for a certain shape of basket or a certain color of sheets.

I have my favorite stores I like to haunt. When I open the doors, there is definitely a rhythm I follow. And usually, there isn't a department I don't scuff up the floors a little.

This weekend, my neighbor, Rachel, and I went to three different thrift shops. After not spending a lot of money, I came home with quite a haul! I was so proud of myself. I ended up with a pair of jammy pants and blue jeans for Alex, a new supply of dinner plates, a vintage camera, a brass piano lamp, storybooks, a snowsuit, a computer game for Quincy, two pairs of snow goggles for the kids to use while sledding, three big, sturdy baskets, a chalkboard/whiteboard memo thingy, a rug with coffee cup motifs, china cups and saucers....goodness gracious! I was so proud all my purchases! I think one of my favorite scores was the set of four kitty cat plates and a free french press coffee maker. I couldn't believe it! Now guess what? I'm on the hunt for a plate hanger with three or four slots. It's out there. I will find it. I just know it.

I absolutely love the feeling when I find something I had wished for. That, for me, is the thrill of the hunt!

1 comment:

Shelinwa said...

wow sweet I love those days awesome on your scores! Kayla did that with mom a few times this last week and now wants to here in Lynden today. I am looking forward to it. She got some adorable things yesterday. Maybe she will let me take some pics of her in the dress she got. Soo cool.
Happy Thrifting