Thursday, September 18, 2008

I LOVE IT!


I attended my first knitting class. I was the only learning knitter. Although, I'd hoped to maybe make a new friend or two, It was nice that way.

I sat down at the table and Jan and I introduced ourselves to one another. She was the epitomy of a knitter to me. She had long gray hair that was pulled back into a loose bun or maybe it was even a loose folded ponytail. She was "fluffy". She wore glasses and carried a huge bag of knitting supplies.

One of her first questions to me was, "So, how long have you been knitting?" I chuckled and said, "Um....maybe a couple of weeks?" She looked at me like.....oh! And i think she was thinking...."WOW!! THIS is gonna be interesting!" She explained all of the basic yarn exchange information with me, but I have learned a lot of that from crochet projects and from the geeking out on all the knitting books and knitting websites I've read lately. Then she asked me to go ahead and knit up a gauge swatch. When she measured it out, she was happily relieved and I think even a little bit surprised. She said, "Okay! You're dead on with the gauge!"

I am certain all the previous exposure to yarns through the crochet was extremely helpful with getting a feel for tension etc. I told her I'd made a few little projects and was working on finished up another little toddler sized sweater.

She gave me a photocopied version of a sweater she said she made up to cover a lot of basic groundwork. She walked me through every step of the pattern and showed me how to increase and decrease stitches. This sweater will produce a little cardigan. I'm excited about it. My goal for the next two weeks is to complete the back of the sweater, the two fronts and IF I can, the two sleeves. I don't think it will be a problem at all getting all the pieces made. If I got the other sweater pieces made in less than a week, I should be able to get this one done, too.

I love this new hobby.






No comments: