Thursday, September 18, 2008

Swap-Happy!

I finally finished up my apron swap! This theme was for "Things I Wish I'd Done This Summer." My partner told me two places she would have liked to have gone over the summer and Hawaii was one of them. For this swap, I also have to include a souvenir like what might be found at that destination and a recipe card that could matches the theme and a personal handwritten note explaining why I chose to make this apron. (This apron is McCall's M5720. The oven mitt pattern is on the accompanying plastic sheet for ThinsulBrite heat resistant batting available at your favorite quilt shops.)

My swap partner indicated that she prefers a full apron and disliked blues. Let me tell you! That disliking blue bit made it really hard to find a good theme fabric. Most of the Hawaiian themed fabrics have a LOT of blues in them. So I poured over the fabrics at my favorite local quilt shop...(Link can be found in my favorite places.) I finally decided on this fabric. For a souvenir, I REALLY wanted to send along a coconut bra, but when I got to the party store, they were all sold out. I was very disappointed. Instead, I included a shell bracelet, a very brightly colored lei (totally typical, huh?) and I used some of the remaining fabric to make up a matching oven mitt, I will include a recipe for a super easy Pineapple Upside Down Cake and my personal handwritten note and ship it off today. I SURE HOPE SHE LIKES IT!

2 comments:

Yarni Gras! said...

VERY pretty.........I'm sure she will love it!

Shawnee said...

You know what's funny, MY partner wanted to go to Hawaii and ALSO hates blue! I'll post the one I made on the blog -- it's in the Flickr group. Be sure to add yours!!